Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It was a Dark and Stormy Night...

It seems fitting that I should start some sort of writing this way, with that headline. Not because I'm a poor writer, or a fan of Bulwer-Lytton (or any other Victorian novelists), but rather, for the fact that I am a fan of good, simple writing. And an example that I recently enjoyed reading (finally) was Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time". A novel that I have gone on far too long without reading. Many have asked me where i got my nickname from, and it wasn't from that book, but i can see their fascination with asking me that - it's one of those words you always wished you took for yourself as a nickname/handle. Well... HA! I took it, so there! Suckers!

But back to the serious - so, why the headline? Because that's how the famous novel starts. Well, actually, it starts with the chapter title, "Mrs. Whatsit", but that's being overly technical. I'm not sure why L'Engle made that the opening line, but it did set the tone well, unlike Bulwer-Lytton.

The fact of the matter is, last night was in fact dark, and it certainly was raining, but it was far from being stormy. The weather was rather unremarkable, yet still annoying. I for one, do not like walking home from the subway when the clouds break and shed their excess moisture. I do however - at least if i am not driving that is - enjoy a related weather phenomena: Fog.

Why? because it can add a very strong dynamic to our... static world. Where everything is between black and white, Fog really makes everything fall into the grey area. This has been a bit of a problem for me in regards to my photography, as I have missed quite a few times, the opportunity to go out and take photos of this foggy city. Such as... this morning. Or maybe not.

This morning, has been particularly sunny, moving into a sky filled with partly cloudiness.

So there you have it... the first look at into my thoughts and reasonings.

Now... what am i going to do with this blogspace? Well... I have to let you all know. I am an avid amatuer photographer, picking his way along in the crazy world of image capturing. Learning everything i can that's withing my means and disposal. It hasn't been always easy, but i've had some great results along the way - and i'll admit even that i've had some disappointments, but i've made the best out of those too. So... part of this blog will be about photography.

Another part is... I work as an editor. Particularly as a Copy Editor, working on financial and business media press relation materials. I think. I guess that's a good way of explaining it. I'll admit, the answer for the question "What do you do for a living?" never results in the same answer twice from me, unless I'm being lazy and i just say "Editor".

So, part of my blog will be about the stuff that I come across in my line of work. I have to upfront and honest right away about this... My blog will ONLY contain information that has been made public. And chances are... I'll be writing about stuff more in the media relations side of the job.
That... and stuff I saw on downstream partner websites (i.e. Globe and Mail).

Lastly... I'm going to write about a few random topics. Of particular interest to me are the following: Cars, Archaeology, Music, and of course, Visual Art. The latter being not entirely contained within the realm of real art, but also the bastardization of the visual [e.g. Lolcats, internet memes and the sort].

0 comments:

Post a Comment